Updated: Apr 17
Disorders that decrease the quality of sleep affects 30% of the adult population worldwide. The good news is that in many cases, simple changes of habit and some good home remedies to cure insomnia can help solve this problem.
Sleep disorders are very common, as it is estimated that 30% of adults suffer some inconvenience to sleep. Among them, the most common is insomnia, which may be sporadic or chronic; This affects 12% of the population.
Causes of Insomnia
Sleep occupies a third of our life and any alteration causes problems in the body and mind. Insomnia is the difficulty that occurs in any part of the sleep period, onset insomnia occurs early part of the sleep, fragmentation insomnia shows up in the course of the night. Sleep is essential for brain function., the quality of sleep affects mood and hormone production, insomnia also affects cognitive performance and memory.
Chronic inability to sleep at night worsens in modern societies for many reasons, one could be modern diet, another could be exposure to stimulations such as Internet, games, tv series, which keeps a person awake by induced insomnia.
Other Insomnia Causes and Consequences
The causes of insomnia are varied. Poor sleeping environment with noise or light, have the TV or computer in the bedroom, is more common than we think cause. Stress, of course; the use of stimulants such as caffeine, energy drinks and snuff, to lose sleep and many people ignore it. The alcohol, inadequate nutrition that produces discomfort, lack of organizational routines during the day, sedentary lifestyle, obesity, use of certain drugs, care of children, physical pain; and emotional problems between the two are frequent cause of insomnia, depression and anxiety. On the other hand, reflux and heartburn are common cause of insomnia and some parasites can cause it too.
There are also sleep disorders that disrupt rest and lowers the quality of sleep. The most common are sleep apnea, where breathing stops abruptly for a few seconds and restless legs syndrome, snoring, sleep walking and teeth grinding (bruxism).
One of the most serious problems when chronic insomnia occurs is the fear of not sleeping, people with insomnia become so worry about not sleeping and that creates anxiety, which does not allow them to sleep.
Acute insomnia caused by a difficult situation that can be medicated so that the patient does not begin with the fear of not falling asleep and entering a cycle of anxiety and insomnia, but it is not always necessary to use psychoactive drugs, instead home remedies to cure insomnia can be used to improve sleep.
List of Home Remedies to Cure Insomnia
HERBS THAT HELP SLEEP
There are many plants that are used for sleep disorders, especially sleep deprivation, frequent awakenings associated with anxiety, nightmares or stress; and difficulty falling asleep at bedtime.
-Azahar: Bitter orange tree species of China, it’s a sedative used as a remedy for insomnia, you can take an infusion of the petals before sleep.
– Passiflora – Passion Flower: This plant has sedative and antispasmodic action, slightly depressing the central nervous system and is used in both insomnia and anxiety disorders.
– Chamomile : Best way to take advantage of its properties is by drinking an infusion made with warm water, not boiling water 30 minutes before bedtime.
These Herbs Are the Most Recommended for Insomnia
– St. John’s Wort: It is a natural antidepressant, which lowers anxiety.
– Lavender: To facilitate sleep, it is advisable to use Lavender essential oil in a bathtub.
– Valerian root : Is a sedative, hypnotic and improves muscle spasms; it contains alkaloids that can be very useful in acute insomnia.
– Verbena: Lowers levels of anxiety, menstrual and rheumatic pain and nervous exhaustion.
8 Basic Tips and Home Remedies to Cure Insomnia
Many have ended insomnia by following these simple guidelines.
1) Avoid naps
2) Remove stimulants (caffeine, nicotine)
3) Maintain a regular sleep schedule all week
4) The place where you go to sleep must be dark
5) Limit alcohol
6) Exercise regularly, but avoid exercise. 5 hours before it to sleep
7) Do not read or work in bed.
8) If you suffer from stomach acidity hoarse, have joint pain, night sweats or any problem that interferes with your sleep, treating these problems will double benefit you, consult a physician.